Friday, November 6, 2009

My Faith Story

I had a modest start, complete with an out side restroom and a metal tub to take baths in. I had one brother and three sisters. My father who was everything to me, did not go to chruch, but knew the Word, lived it and taught it to us. While I was pregnant with my first at 21, I lost him and my father-in-law to cancer within a month. While they were sick, I had never prayed so hard in my life. Not that they would be healed, but that they would live long enough to see their granddaughter. This prayer was not answered (at least I did not know Gods purpose then). Then 16 months later Iost my brother to diabetes. He was 37, blind, had lost a leg and a finger, and had kidney failure which lead to a heart failure. At this point I was angry with God, got a divorce from my first husband and rebelled terribly for the next four years. I call these my years of temporary insanity. I then met my husband now who brought me back to reality. In 1990 we were married and in 1991 I started attending a church who's preacher had lived through all of this with me. I started being pulled closer to God, but not walking with him. My preacher retired and we moved out of the area. In fact we were homeless for a while. Then when we did find a home, I found out I had cancer. This is when I found a new church and was baptized. I am now a cancer survivor and I am walking with God. I still have some fires to go through, but as He has done in the past, He is right there with me. My faith and peace has grown in ways I would have never imagined. I lost one of sisters to diabetes also, but this time I knew He was with me and my family. Like Paul, I know what it is to have everything and I know what it is to have nothing. With Jesus, I always have everything I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment